Tuesday, April 04, 2006

You know we’re living in a world rich with youth culture (as compared to what, the 70s?).

In the 70s, everyone had that huge afro hair (even if it wasn't afro, it was plain huge), times of Elvis, Jackson 5, bell-bottoms, kids would hang out at the skating rink, Saturday Night Fever, disco nights...

What about now?

We’ve got iPods to our ears, low-cut hipsters, skaterboys, breakdancers, rock stars, fashion-ists… you get the idea.
We’ve evolved. But who do we blame?
The media?
Advancing technology?
Friends?
It’s just a natural phenomenon that youth trends change. In 50 years time iPods will be the most outdated thing ever.

But what if… youth trends can be CONTROLLED?

Which brings me to... Josie and the Pussycats! :-D

When I watched it few years back, I thought it was crap shit.
Then recently I watched it again and thought… this is a work of genius!
I just liked it ‘coz it was sooo colourful. The props, outfits, backdrops, and storyline.
In my opinion, anyway.

If you were any normal audience maybe you’d shrug it off.
But being a media student, you’d come to understand that it's showing what’s really happening in this world.
Media is one of the strongest medium influencing teens.

FYI, the low-cut hipsters that teenagers to amahs wear were influenced by people like Britney and Mariah in late 90s when their videos were broadcasted on MTV.

On Josie and The Pussycats:










Everything from fads, to fashion, to slang… the product placement… are controlled by MegaRecords, a music management team.









When kids pop a CD into their player, a voice in the background goes,

“Josie and the Pussycats are the best band ever!”
“They’re totally jerkin’! You must buy their CD!”
“Orange is the new pink”
“Heath Ledge is the new Matt Damon”
“You’re nobody without an Abercrombie & Fitch vintage tee”

And it’s played repeatedly.

So they’ve all been hypnotized… brainwashed… to purchase the goods.










In the movie, it’s called “trend pimp”.

They have a little department where all the trend decision takes place.










“The new word for cool will be jerkin'. As in ‘Dude, that's jerkin'”

“Feather tank tops, matching pants, kind of a Buffy meets Chicken Run.”

Come to think of it… were we hypnotized by constant exposure to MTV, them fuddy-duddy TV ads, and magazines to go purchase our stuffs? Are we victims of trend pimps? LMAO.











“I love this song! If I don't buy it, everybody's gonna hate me.”
“And, I also want orange shoes.”
“You guys, orange IS the new pink!”

“I am sick of my Reebok sweats. I need some Puma sweats.”

And one girl said,
“I think that song sucks.
I plug my ears when crap like that comes on.
They’re just mindless drones who gobble up anything you tell them is cool.”

Too true. I’ll admit modestly, I'm one of 'em. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home